Our Veteran's

Glenn Brooks (Marie’s Son)
I served June 1967 thru September 1989, having 22 years in the Army Reserve and Air National Guard in Jacksonville, FL, Jackson, MS, Nashville, TN and Gulfport, MS. Nothing exciting! All this was before the Gulf War in 1991 so I was never called to active duty from the reserves like Allen, Uncle James and others have been. I did administrative, desk type jobs. I retired with the rank of Master Sergeant in the Air Force.

John Hendricks
1st Battalion (ABN), 509th Infantry.  First U S Airborne unit to deploy overseas arriving in Lands’s End, England on June 10, 1942.  Executed the lowest altitude mass parachute jump in history exiting the aircraft at 143 feet in England during June 1942 rehearsals.  Initially awarded the “right” to wear Red Berets by Major General Sir Frederick A M Browning, Commander, 1st British Airborne, who made the 509th honorary “Red Devils”.  Performed America’s first combat parachute insertion on November 8, 1942, following the longest combat invasion in history of 1600 miles from England to North Africa.  Conducted five combat jumps during World War II:  three into North Africa, one into Italy and one into South0ren France.  Led amphibious invasion with Darby’s Rangers at Anzio, Italy on January 22, 1944 and subsequently participated in a successful Allied campaign that lasted 70 days.  First Airborne unit awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, February 29, 1942.  Also awarded another Presidential Unit Citation in 1945.

Allen Hendricks
    (John’s Son)
I entered the Air Force in 1969 for 4.5 years.  10 years later I went back into the Army National Guard and served active duty for a year.  I retired on April 30, 2006 with a combined 28 years plus in the Army National Guard, Army and Air Force.

During my active duty in the Guard, I served in Desert Storm in 1990 and was in Saudi Arabia from January 1991 until April 1991.  I was trained as an X-ray tech in the Air Force and that's what I did during Desert Storm.

Lee Fuller
  (Evelyn, Sue’s Husband)

Lee entered the Navy in 1959 and served until 1973.  My job was EMC (Electrician's Mate Chief)
Significant info:
• Riverboat Captain in Vietnam
• Submarine Qualified
• Nuclear Power School

James Hendricks

I joined the Navy, December 8, 1942. I went to Bainbridge Md. for boot camp. From there to Auburn for radio school, from there to New York and boarded the USS Eberly D430 for 10 trips across the Atlantic. To New York and put the USS Taussig D746 into commission and went to the Pacific and finished WWII. Came out in 1946 and went into the Reserve in 1947 got called back in 1950 and picked up USS LSM 362 and went to Korea. Returned back to California and home in 1952. I stayed in the reserve for a total of 35 years. I just done what I thought was the right thing to do. James

Drew Hendricks

I served in the US Navy for 3 years and 3 months during WWII.  I was one of 30 to 40 sailors that took over an Army Base to prepare it for other sailors.  My occupation was a motor mechanic. I went to boot camp in Jacksonville, FL.  I was stationed in Boca Chica Naval Air Station as well as the Philippines.  While stationed on a Navy Barge in Manila Bay, we had a small boat that would carry the sailors from the barge to the beach. Once on the beach, we did not have any transportation. We appropriated a Jeep from the Army. The jeep, was of course, the wrong color.  In our down time, we attempted to paint the jeep Navy colors.  We received word of a higher official coming to visit.  Realizing we would get caught, we decided to use the crane on the barge to dispose of the jeep in the Manila Bay.

Bob Plumlee
 (Drew, JoAnne’s Husband)

Served in the National Guard from 1963 thru 1969.  Basic training was in Fort Benning, GA .  He was stationed in Homestead, FL.  He attended his annual 2 week training at Camp Blanding, FL.  His job was Motor Pool Maintenance.

Randy Hendricks  (Drew’s Son)
Served in the Air Force from September 1967 to August 1988.  Basic training was at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX.  My first 10 years I had 3 jobs, supplies warehouseman, telephone installer, and the last 10 years of service was as an Air Force Recruiter.  He was stationed at Okinawa, Japan, Goose Bay Labrador, Canada, Toledo, OH and Cocoa, FL and Texas.  He also went to Thailand and a few days in Vietnam doing telephone work. Retired with 20 years service.

Michael Hendricks
 (Drew, Randy’s Son)

Served in the Air Force from 1988-1992, completed boot camp in Texas. Stationed at Homestead AFB, as a K-9 security police.  Was stationed a short time in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Charlie Parker
 (Drew, Carmen’s Husband)

Served in the Air Force from 1969-1973.  Basic training was at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX and was stationed in Grand Forks, ND.  His title was engineering but was actually a carpenter.  He also did a temporary duty assignment in Goose Bay Labrador, Canada. 

Chad Hendricks (Drew, Richard's Son)
Currently enlisted in the US Army.  
82nd Airborne
1st Brigade
2nd Battalion
504 Parachute Infrantry Regiment

Currently staitioned and fighting for our freedom in Iraq.

Joe Hendricks
I started my military career in the fall of 1950.  While working in Washington, DC.  I joined a reserve unit.  Shortly after I joined the army reserve I received a draft notice from Florida.  I then called my Captain and he informed me I could stay with the unit or enter the service as a reserve.

On October 7, 1950 I reported to Fort Meade Maryland to start my active duty.  I stayed in Fort Meade for about one week.  I was then transferred to Fort Eustis, VA for my training.  When I reported for duty I was assigned to the 712th Rail Way Battalion.  Within a month or two the 712 was being shipped out for Korea.  Because I had not received basic training I was pulled from that unit and sent to basic training in Fort Eustis.

After that training I was assigned to the 714th Railway Unit.  This unit was then transferred back to Fort Meade.  For the next two months we would go to Baltimore daily to work with the B&O Railroad crew to get our training.  After the end of the two months we were returned to Fort Eustis, where I stayed for more training.

By the end of 1951 while I was still at Fort Eustis we received notice that the government ran out of appropriation money to pay the army reserve.  I was one of the lucky reserves and was discharged in late December of 1951.  At that Elaine and I returned to Washington DC.  That was the end of my military career.

Dan Hendricks
  (Joe, John’s Son)
USMC Lance Cpl.  Currently serving in Romeo Battery (assigned to Hdqtrs.)  5th Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marines Division at Camp Pendleton, San Diego, California in the Motor Transport Division.  Enlisted in November 2004 attending boot camp in the sand flea capital of the world – Parris Island, SC graduating in February 2005.  On to Camp Lejeune, NC for combat training and Ft. Leonard Wood, MO for job duty training as a Motor Transport Operator graduating in May 2005 with Duty Station assignment at Camp Pendleton.  Received orders in October 2005 to serve in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and deployed in January 2006.  Served 6 months in the Motor T Truck Platoon (3D Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marines Expeditionary Force) as a vehicle commander, radio operator, driver and turret gunner for more than 300 resupply convoys and 74 detainee missions.  On March 31, 2006, my convoy was attacked by an IED and I was able to move my vehicle safely out of the kill zone where  I assisted the Corpsman in treating and evacuating 5 wounded Marines.  I was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with Combat “V” on August 25, 2006 for my service.   I am currently in a “non-deployable” Unit with 12 months of active duty service remaining and 4 years of “inactive” status with the United States Marine Corps.

Bryan Hendricks      Navy 1944-1947
I joined the Navy when I was 17 years old I was sworn in a few days before my 18th birthday which was August 6, 1944. Neal Varnes and I joined on the same day. I was sent to basic training at Camp Perry, Virginia. After finishing basic training, I was sent to Ft. Pierce, FL for amphibious training. The day we were supposed to ship out, I had an attack of appendicitis and had to go into the hospital for an appendectomy. The group of guys I had trained with shipped out and after I recuperated, I trained with a new group of guys and shipped out with them. They sent us to Providence, Rhode Island where we were assigned to a newly commissioned ship called the Skagit. It was a cargo ship, but also transported troops. They sent us out into the Chesapeake Bay for a “shake down cruise”.  We tested all the guns and equipment to get ready to ship out.  They sent us from Chesapeake Bay to Marseille, France. We loaded up troops and cargo and went through the Panama Canal to Manila. In the Philippine Islands we unloaded cargo and troops for the war. I remember making several trips to Guam and Okinawa. We had a load of cargo headed for Japan in 1945 about the time that the US dropped bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That’s when the war ended.  I remember cruising into Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945. We sailed right past the Battleship Missouri. We went close enough to see all the people on the deck of the battleship as they were signing the peace treaty. From there we were sent to Taku, China and we anchored there for 33 days awaiting orders. We were sent back to San Francisco, California in December of 1946. We traveled up and down the coast from Oregon to California, transporting troops and cargo. We were then sent to Pearl Harbor and they put the ship in dry dock for 3 months for repairs. After returning to California, I was transferred to the USS Washburn for the last 6 months of my 3 year enlistment. The Skagit was being sent back overseas and if you had less than 6 months left, they wouldn’t send you back overseas.  After 6 months on the Washburn, when I was about to be discharged, they discovered that I had a hernia. I was hospitalized at the US Naval Hospital in Long Beach, California.  I was in the hospital for about 2 months. When I was released, I hitchhiked from Long Beach to Dallas.  It took 2 days. A serviceman never had a problem getting a ride. We all hitchhiked back then and people would go out of their way to help you. Since I had just gotten out of the hospital, when I got to Dallas, I was so tired that I decided to get a motel room to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up I called the bus station and got a ticket for a bus that was leaving in an hour for Jacksonville. When I got back home, I was ready to look for a job.

Stephen Hendricks   (Bryan’s Son)
Florida Army National Guard – 1971-1977

Uncle John – FIVE COMBAT JUMPS!  Glenn - MASTER SEARGENT  Randy – 20 YEARS - Uncle Drew – hid that jeep in the Manila Bay, I bet it was with full intentions of retrieving it when the brass left.  However, I can assure you if he could get it out TODAY, HE COULD GET IT BACK TO RUNNING.


So I am the draft dodger of the bunch.  By the end of the Vietnam “conflict” they had eliminated the college deferral and started a lottery for the draft because they did not need as many “targets”.  It was the summer of 1971, I had just graduated from high school I drew a low number so I joined the Florida Army National Guard.  Back then it was the best way to avoid action, today it is the best way to see action.

I joined the Lake City 153rd Engineer and was sent to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for 8 months of training.  Basic Training, AIT (Advanced Infrantry Training) and MOS training of Bulldozer Operator.

Back at home with the Lake City Unit I trained 1 weekend each month and 2 weeks each year at Camp Blanding (across the lake from where JoAnn and I live today).  Discharged August 1977 as E5 Seargent.

NO JUMPS, NO MASTER SEARGENT, NO 20 YEARS, however, I did tear up a jeep or two.

Richard  Cason II   (Bryan, Joe, Stacie’s Husband)
I enlisted in the Florida Army National Guard on March 16, 2001.  I spent four months training at Fort Knox, Kentucky and Baltimore, Maryland.  In February 2003, my unit was activated and sent to Fort Stewart, GA as a part of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Noble Eagle.  I remained activated at Fort Stewart until June, 2004.  My unit has also been activated for Hurricane Relief on 4 different occasions. 

Harold Hendricks

Army- Enlisted December 7, 1949.  2nd Infantry Division 4th BN.  Combat- Korea, CP Cooke, CA.  9th Reg T CO. ER  14356032.  Honorably discharged on May 15, 1953, Korean Service Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars.

David Hendricks

David was drafted into the Army in April of 1953.  He left Lake Butler and went to Starke and traveled with Mallette Hale and ? Harris (both from Lake Butler) by bus to Jacksonville, Florida where they were inducted into the Army.  From there they traveled to Fort Jackson, at Columbia, South Carolina for 16 weeks of infantry training.

David, Mallette and Harris all had last names that began with “H” so they frequently had KP and other duties together.  While at Fort Jackson, Mallette Hale had a car and the three of them frequently came home on the weekend in his car, sometimes getting back to base in the wee hours of the morning.

Finishing boot camp, he went to Camp Gordon in Augusta, GA for 18 weeks of Signal Corp Radio School where he learned Morse Code and communications.  At the end of this training, he was promoted to PFC.

After a brief leave, he boarded a train and crossed the USA on a train going to Fort Lewis, Washington where he got on a ship for Korea.  While on ship, they stopped at Whittier Alaska, Sasabo, Japan and finally landing at Inchon, Korea.  He was then taken to Chung Chong, Korea on the 38th Parallel where he was attached to an Air Force unit and used his signal corp training.  He was in the “Air Ground Liason” squad and he would radio the planes, give them the coordinates and direct the aircraft to the target.  He was there for 18 months which included two very cold winters.  After one year, he was promoted to Corporal.

During the time he was there, there was an occasion where his unit found a little boy approximately 8 years old that had lost his entire family in the war and he was on a bridge planning to jump to his death.  They took him in and made him their “houseboy”, paying him a small amount of money to take care of laundry, etc.  He was still with them when David left and they turned him over to their replacements.  There was an article in the Lake Butler newspaper with his and David’s picture.  See attached.

After 18 months, he left Seoul, Korea for home, going through Tokoyo, Midway, Hawaii and California and back to Fort Jackson, South Carolina where he was “separated” from the Army.  He rode home with Mallette Hale.

For his reserve duty, he joined the Air National Guard and after 6 years of reserves, he was discharged from the Air Force.  If he had been called up for active duty, he did not want to go back in the Army so that is why he did not do his reserve duty in Army Reserve.

Spencer Hoover
  (David, Cathy’s Step Son)

Spencer entered the Army on January 22, 2001 and is now a SGT in the 82nd Airborne Unit Fort Bragg, NC. He has been to Irag, Bagdad and Afganistan for about 9 months each. While in the service Spencer has been attending Troy State University online and will have one semester to go before receiving his degree in business management.  He will be leaving the service December 5, 2005 to pursue his civilian life as a business man.

Griffin Hoover  (David, Cathy’s Step Son)
Griffin entered the Army on March 23, 2001.  He is stationed at Fort Benning, GA. as a Ranger.  Griffin has been to Irag/Afganistan 4 times.  Griffin will be a Warrent Officer as of Dec 5, 2005. He plans to remain in the military as a career.  He will be going to flight school to fly helicopters.  From there the lord only knows.

Bill McKendree

I am a veteran of the US Navy, 1977-1981.  Operations specialist 2nd, air intercept controller.  I served aboard USS Dale (CG-19) and USS Koelsch (FF-1049).  I've had one expedition to the Persian Gulf in 1980-81.

Herman Hendricks
In April 1958 I graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelors Degree in Agriculture.  I then entered the Army Reserves as a clerk typist and was sent to 6 months active duty at Fort Jackson, SC.  I applied for pre-flight school and on November 10, 1961 I was discharged from the Army Reserves and did an in service transfer to the Navy where I was accepted into Pre-Flight school at Sherman Field, Pensacola, FL.  April 1962 I completed pre-flight school (flight navigator) in Corpus Christi, TX and was commissioned as an “Ensign” in the US Navy Reserves December 1962 I was assigned to “Airborne Early Warning Squadron 11” in Newfoundland, Argentina and served 2 years there.  January 1964 I was assigned to “Navy Transport Squadron VR22” in Norfolk, VA. Then in August the whole squad went to Moffet Field, Mountain View, California.  September 1965, assigned to “Support of Operation Deep Freeze 67” in Christ Chick, New Zealand.  We made to trips to McMundo Sound, Antarctica, South Pole.  January 1967 I went to Columbus, Ohio for Navy Recruiting.  December 1969 I was released from active duty and returned home to Jacksonville, FL.  I remained in active reserve status.  July 1982 I became inactive status.  December 1995 I retired with full benefits as Lt. Commander.

Vernon Hendricks

1957-1961 Army National Guard Reserves, serviced 6 months in Boot Camp at Fort Jackson, Columbia, SC.  I went to Maryland for additional training.


1957-1961 Army National Guard Reserves, serviced 6 months in Boot Camp at Fort Jackson, Columbia, SC.  I went to Maryland for additional training.

After being discharged in 1961 I went to Europe as a civilian for 2 years to teach 8-12th grade children of military parents.  I returned in 1963 where I started teaching high school.  In 1968 I began teaching at the college.

Donald Hendricks
I served in the Army October 1957 thru October 1960
January, 1962 thru August, 1962

Places of Service:  Ft. Belvoir, VA
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Bragg, NC
Verdun, France

While in France, I worked on building gasoline storage tanks and helicopter landing pads.

Website Builder